Payroll Staff Accountant
Closing Date: Sep 17, 2021
The Payroll Staff Accountant will primarily be processing payroll on twice monthly basis, but will have other accounting duties as assigned.
The Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission (CRITFC) is seeking a detail oriented individual to process our multi-state payroll. This position requires proven experience in accurately calculating fringe benefit and payroll deductions. Experience with ADP Time and Attendance or Paychex required. The Payroll Staff Accountant reports directly to the Controller and will be expected to analyze general ledger accounts, participate as a team member during internal and external audits, and complete additional departmental responsibilities as assigned.
This position requires a high degree of accuracy and the ability to meet deadlines. Confidentiality of information is required. The incumbent will be expected to exercise independent judgement and initiative in the performance of duties and assignments. With the ability to demonstrate experience in working with all levels of accounting and have a commitment to work cooperatively with other staff.
Essential Job Functions
- Process and ensure multi-state payroll is accurate by tabulating timesheets; calculating current, retroactive, and final payroll on schedule;
- Assures payroll related personnel policies are followed; transmits payroll data through the ADP Workforce Now payroll system;
- Verifies employee pay through and direct deposit and hand cut checks;
- Calculates employee leave balances and verifies the information for managers and employees; reconciles leave balances to ADP totals and the General Ledger.
- Coordinates with the Human Resources Manager on their use of the ADP HR module and implementation of salary administration.
- Prepares and records monthly standard payroll journal entries in the General Ledger and analyzes payroll accounts, and supporting schedules as needed.
- Processes and ensures all benefit payments/schedules (AAA, retirement loans, salary deferrals, health insurance, FSA account deductions and account reconciliation, garnishments, workers compensation, federal and state taxes, etc.) are accurate.
- Coordinate with the Human Resource function to ensure data accuracy, make necessary corrections and submit payroll information for timely payment.
- Prepares required multi-state Worker’s Compensation reports.
- Prepares cash receipts for cash and check payments.
- Enters Accounts Payable vendor record changes in the Sage ERP Accounts Payable module.
- Assists with the development of monthly billing to grantors by preparing detailed salary & other billing information for submission to grantors for reimbursement.
- Assists with internal and external audit activities to ensure accuracy of the general ledger and to minimize external audit expense by analyzing accounts, preparing schedules and journal entries, and providing recommendations to ensure accuracy of all accounts.
- Assists in special projects by providing financial analysis to provide support and develop recommendations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, emphasis in Accounting, is preferred; Finance or other business disciplines considered.
- Two years of payroll processing, with one year using Paychex or ADP.
- Knowledge of multi-state payroll tax processing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel and Word software applications.
- Experience in general ledger account analysis, including preparation of general journal entries.
- Experience working with Not-For-Profit and Governmental organizations (Public accounting),
- Working knowledge of the Single Audit Act and Fund Accounting.
- Understanding of Human resource processes and procedures.
This position reports to the Controller on an ongoing basis. This position has no supervisory role.
Position may require extra hours to meet deadlines. The work is primarily sedentary with a routine work schedule of Monday-Friday. Occasional travel to the tribes and other travel may be necessary.
CRITFC Motor Vehicle Policy
The driver operating a CRITFC vehicle or their own private vehicle for business related purposes shall be in possession of a valid, unrestricted current driver’s license, or other operator’s license, as required by law; and be eligible for coverage under CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle insurance policy. Upon request, CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle policy is available to applicants to review the required criteria.