Fishery Technician III
Closing Date: May 19, 2021
The Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission (CRITFC) assists the four tribes in the co-management of their treaty rights within the Columbia River Basin. The position offered is associated with the Commission’s Fish Management Department, within the Lamprey project. The Lamprey project is directed toward implementing the objectives and actions outlined in the Tribal Pacific Lamprey Restoration Plan. These objectives include improving mainstem and tributary passage and habitat; lamprey supplementation/augmentation (translocation and reintroductions); evaluate contaminants and water quality; regional coordination, education and outreach; and research, monitoring and evaluation. The Fishery Technician will be responsible for collecting a variety of biological data and samples under field and lab conditions and will be required to work with other agencies. Work locations vary throughout the Columbia River Basin. The primary responsibilities of two of the positions will be trapping of adult Pacific lamprey at the mainstem dams in support of the tribes translocation program. The primary responsibility of the third position will be conducting creel surveys (Friday through Mondays) during the lamprey harvest season at Willamette Falls. The technician will join the trapping crew when lamprey harvest season ends. Other duties may include assisting tribes with seasonal field work (e.g. , efish surveys, eDNA sample collections, screw trap monitoring, parentage based tagging, etc.) as needs arise. Field work occurs 7 days per week, June through September.
This opening is for three positions.
- Classification: Temporary (3-4 months)
- Salary: $41,893 per year (Comparable to GS 7) DOQ
- Location: Portland or The Dalles/Hood River, Oregon
Essential Job Functions
The employee works closely with the Lamprey project in a developing capacity with increased responsibilities performing a range of duties and assignments. The duties for the Fishery Technician may include, but are not limited to:
- Setting and checking traps at the mainstem dams for collection, transport and holding of adult Pacific Lamprey for the CRITFC member tribes.
- Driving from the Portland duty station to Bonneville, The Dalles, and John Day dams on a daily basis in CRITFC vehicles during the adult lamprey migration/trapping season.
- Monitor fish health during trapping, holding, and transporting.
- Collect biological data, tissue samples, and execute technical procedures.
- Operate electronic sampling equipment and computers.
- Take detailed sampling notes, conduct data entry, and data management.
- Must have the ability to work in remote field locations and inclement weather.
- Travel to field sites outside the Portland area. May require overnight stays.
- Available to work a flexible work schedule (hours, days) and to be on call when necessary.
- Work from Portland duty station, or The Dalles/Hood River.
We seek responsible and dependable individuals with interests in environmental and fisheries sciences who meet the following required qualifications:
- Minimum High School diploma or equivalent.
- Two or more years relevant work experience in Fisheries Science, Fishery Technician or related field/position.
- A bachelor’s degree in fisheries or a related field preferred, and may substitute for work experience.
- Familiarity with biological research and the ability to execute detailed technical procedures.
- Ability to collect and maintain high quality data records from field and laboratory work.
- Ability to work effectively, positively, and as a team in field, office, and laboratory settings.
- Ability to work flexible workdays and hours including early mornings, late evenings, and weekends(may work greater than 8 hours per day during the peak of the run).
- Ability to travel for one or more nights at a time occasionally.
- Supervision Received: This position reports to the Fish Management department Lamprey Biologist or Lamprey Project Lead.
- Supervision Given: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
This position will require occasional moving of heavy items, up to 50 lbs. to include setting and pulling lamprey pot traps up to 75 lbs. Ability to walk up and down stairs carrying heavy buckets. Additional or extended working hours may be required occasionally to meet job related duties and functions. Must be able work in physical environments requiring the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
COVID – 19 prevention protocols are in place.
CRITFC Motor Vehicle Policy
The driver operating a CRITFC vehicle or their own private vehicle for business related purposes shall be in possession of a valid, unrestricted current driver’s license, or other operator’s license, as required by law; and be eligible for coverage under CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle insurance policy. Upon request, CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle policy is available to applicants to review the required criteria.