Closing Date: Sep 24, 2021
The Data Engineer will initially work with the CRITFC IT Services team to assess and identify CRITFC data and data services that are suitable for migration on a pilot basis from internal network locations to CRITFC’s existing Azure or AWS cloud tenants. Source data may include unstructured data (files), or structured data (SQL databases). Source services may include database or web servers with or without application layers. Once the data and data services appropriate for migration are identified, the Data Engineer will evaluate and propose the appropriate technologies to maintain the data and provide ongoing data services in the cloud with the necessary levels of security, reliability, cost, and performance.
After the proposed pilot projects are accepted, the Data Engineer will work with Microsoft or Amazon to provision the necessary cloud infrastructure and technologies, ensuring that appropriate data integrity measures are in place. The Engineer will then work with IT or project staff to migrate the data and data services, test the results for security and reliability, and present those for acceptance. Upon acceptance, the Engineer will document the resulting systems and train IT and project staff to conduct ongoing maintenance and management of those systems.
Once CRITFC has successfully piloted the migration of key data and data services to the cloud, the Data Engineer will change focus to working with IT and project teams on an ongoing basis to assess and improve data management at CRITFC, particularly in the areas of data ingestion, transformation, and presentation.
- Department: Finance & Operations Department
- Classification: Full time, non-exempt
- Salary: $63,239 to $82,212
- Location: Portland, OR
Essential Job Functions
The ideal candidate will have at least one year of successful experience in architecting and developing Azure or AWS solutions, have robust debugging skills and be proficient in at least one language used for data engineering.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Identify existing data and data services that are appropriate for migration to the cloud on a pilot basis
- Work with Microsoft Azure Cloud or Amazon Web Services and 3rd party contractors to build a reliable cloud storage infrastructure to host those data or data services
- Migrate data and data services
- Maintain the quality of data as it is migrated to the cloud
- Train other CRITFC staff on the maintenance of data and data services in the cloud
- Use best practices to document the resulting systems, procedures, and code
- Assess CRITFC’s internal data management practices and propose projects to improve those practices
- Work with CRITFC staff or contractors to implement future data management projects
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a similar field is preferred; practical experience will be considered.
- Experience in developing Azure or AWS systems.
- Experience in debugging code.
- Experience in documenting systems
- Proficiency in at least one language used for data engineering (e.g. Python).
- Experience building data pipelines.
- One year or more of experience developing Azure or AWS solutions.
- Azure or AWS certification (e.g. Azure Fundamentals or AWS Certified Developer)
This position reports to the Systems Administrator on an ongoing basis. This position has no supervisory role.
Position may require extra hours to meet deadlines. The work is primarily sedentary with a routine work schedule of Monday-Friday. The work can be done remotely.
CRITFC Motor Vehicle Policy
The driver operating a CRITFC vehicle or their own private vehicle for business related purposes shall be in possession of a valid, unrestricted current driver’s license, or other operator’s license, as required by law; and be eligible for coverage under CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle insurance policy. Upon request, CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle policy is available to applicants to review the required criteria.