2021 Treaty Sturgeon Fishery Announcement – Dec 18, 2020
Friday December 18, 2020
The four Columbia River treaty fishing tribes set the following fishery plan and the States of Oregon and Washington concurred:
- Commercial Sturgeon Setline Fishery Area: Zone 6, Bonneville, The Dalles, and John Day Reservoirs
- Dates/Times: Noon Friday, January 1, 2021 through Noon Sunday, January 31, 2021
- Gear: Setline Gear. Fishers are encouraged to use circle hooks and avoid J-hooks. It is unlawful to use setline gear with more than 100 hooks per set line, with hooks less than the minimum size of 9/0, with treble hooks, without visible buoys attached, or with buoys that do not specify operator and tribal identification.
- Allowable Sales: Sturgeon from 38 to 54 inches fork length in the Bonneville Pool and from 43 to 54 inches fork length in The Dalles and John Day Pools may be sold or kept for subsistence purposes. Sturgeon within the legal size limit and caught in the platform and hook and line fishery may only be sold if caught during the open period and open reservoir of the set line fishery. Fish landed during the open periods are allowed to be sold after the period concludes.
- Sanctuaries: Standard dam sanctuaries applicable to setline gear are in place.
Note: This announcement is an informational document and does not constitute a fishery regulation. Individual tribes determine actual fishing regulations for their members. Copies of regulations are available from tribal fishery departments.
If you have any fishing enforcement problems or need assistance or information, day or night, contact the Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fisheries Enforcement Office, 4270 Westcliff Drive, Hood River, Oregon. Phone: (541)-386-6363 or toll-free (800)-487-FISH (3474). Show pride in your Tribe’s treaty rights by carrying your tribal ID. Please consult your tribal Fisheries Department for additional details on tribal regulations. PLEASE FOLLOW COVID-SAFE GUIDELINES AND WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKETS FOR SAFETY and avoid overloading your boats.