12/08/2017 Winter Season Tribal Fishery Announcement
The Four Columbia River Tribes set the following fishery plan and the Columbia River Compact concurred:
Commercial Sturgeon Setline Fishery
- Area: John Day Pool Only
- Dates/Times: 6:00 AM Monday December 11 through 6:00 PM Saturday December 30
- Gear: Setline Gear. Fishers are encouraged to use circle hooks and avoid J-hooks. It is unlawful to use setline gear with more than 100 hooks per set line, with hooks less than the minimum size of 9/0, with treble hooks, without visible buoys attached, and with buoys that do not specify operator and tribal identification.
- Allowable Sales: Sturgeon from 43 to 54 inches fork length in the John Day Pool may be sold or kept for subsistence purposes. Sturgeon within the legal size limit and caught in the platform and hook and line fishery may only be sold if caught during the open period and open area of the set line fishery. Fish landed during the open periods are allowed to be sold after the period concludes.
- Sanctuaries: Standard dam sanctuaries applicable to setline gear are in place.
- Additional: 24-hour quick reporting required for Washington buyers, pursuant to WAC 220-352-180 except that landings must be reported within 24-hours of completing the fish ticket. It is unlawful to sell, barter, or attempt to sell or barter sturgeon eggs that have been removed from the body cavity of a sturgeon prior to sale of the sturgeon to a wholesale dealer licensed, or to sell or barter sturgeon eggs at retail. It is unlawful to deliver to a wholesale dealer any sturgeon that are not in the round with the head and tail intact
2017 Commercial Sturgeon Harvest Guidelines: Bonneville = 325, The Dalles = 325, John Day=295
In 2018, the January Setline fishery will open 12:00 PM January 1 until 12:00 PM January 31 in all three pools (Bonneville, The Dalles, and John Day pools) by permanent regulations.
Zone 6 Commercial Platform and Hook-and-Line Fishery
Current regulations allowing commercial and subsistence use of platform and hook-and-line fish remain in place.
Notice to Yakama Fishers:
Yakama Nation currently has an ongoing sturgeon setline fishery in the Priest Rapids and Wanapum Pools until 6pm Saturday December 23, 2017. During this time, the John Day Pool will be closed to sturgeon setline fishing for Yakama enrolled fishers. Yakama Fishers should consult Yakama Nation Fisheries regulations for open fishing seasons.
Note: This announcement is an informational document and does not constitute a fishery regulation. Individual tribes determine actual fishing regulations for their members. Copies of regulations are available from tribal fishery departments.
If you have any fishing enforcement problems or need assistance or information, day or night, contact the Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fisheries Enforcement Office, 4270 Westcliff Drive, Hood River, Oregon. Phone: (541)-386-6363 or toll-free (800)-487-FISH (3474). Show pride in your Tribe’s treaty rights by carrying your tribal ID. Please consult your tribal Fisheries Department for additional details on tribal regulations. PLEASE WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKETS FOR SAFETY and avoid overloading your boats.