The Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission’s (CRITFC) Fish Management Department, through the objectives laid out in CRITFC’s Tribal Pacific Lamprey Restoration Plan for the Columbia River Basin, is assisting its member tribes in the collection of adult Pacific lamprey at mainstem Columbia River Dams for use in ongoing Pacific lamprey adult supplementation (translocation) efforts. The individual hired for this temporary position will be the primary, on-the-ground contact for CRITFC member tribes (Nez Perce, Umatilla, Warm Springs, and Yakama) that have initiated supplementation (translocation) projects within tributaries of their ceded areas. The primary responsibility for this position will be to set, collect, log, and transfer adult Pacific lamprey from the previously determined dam locations to a central holding site in close coordination with CRITFC member tribe lamprey collection staffs. The successful applicant will be responsible for the health of lamprey during the trapping, transferring, and holding making this an on-call position.
- Job Title: Lamprey Collection Technician ( 2 positions)
- Department: Fish Management
- Classification: Temporary, Full-Time, non-exempt (4-6 month duration)
- Salary/Wage: $15.47-20.11 per hour (Equivalent to CRITFC GS 5)
- Location: Portland, OR
Essential Job Functions
Specific duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Assisting CRITFC member tribe staffs setting, maintaining, and checking adult lamprey traps at U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) mainstem dams (Bonneville, John Day, and The Dalles).
- Coordinating closely with USACE and USACE funded researchers regarding adult lamprey collection.
- Maintaining close coordination with CRITFC member tribe fisheries staffs regarding adult lamprey collection and transfer, collecting biological data from trapped adult lamprey, tagging adult lamprey for research, monitoring, and identification purposes (e.g. PIT, Radio, elastomer).
- Closely monitoring the health and well-being of adult Pacific lamprey being held on site at USACE mainstem dams.
- Periodically monitoring existing and potential adult lamprey trapping locations at USACE mainstem dams.
- At times, this may also include daily travel to various CRITFC member tribe facilities to help with adult lamprey maintenance and procedures at these sites. Technician will also communicate in both oral and written (reports) forms with personnel from a variety of agencies: federal, state, local, and others.
- Minimum High School diploma or equivalent.
- Two or more years relevant work experience in Fisheries Science, Fishery Technician or related field/position.
- Must be well organized with attention to detail and accurate record keeping.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with a variety of people about the data collected.
- Must have thorough demonstrated knowledge of Pacific Northwest fish biology, ecology, and habitat requirements and experience in scientific methods and/or resource management.
- Ability to lift, carry, and check heavy (approximately 75 pounds) lamprey traps and willingness to work under variety of adverse field conditions.
- Additional training in order to access USACE dams may be required including but not limited to CPR – First Aid, electric hoist operation, and high energy containment program (HECP) certified if required. For example, if the technician will need to sign onto a clearance (i.e. collection of lamprey during an emergency dewatering event) HECP certification is required.
- Must have demonstrated ability to work well with other professionals and maintain flexibility in working environment and, at times, with weekly work schedules.
- Driving to and from trapping and collection sites is required for this position. Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to pass our DMV driving record check to ensure applicant meets insurance eligibility for operating a government vehicle.
Supervision Received: Supervised by the Pacific Lamprey Project Leader at CRITFC’s Portland, OR office in close coordination with CRITFC member tribe lamprey collection staffs.
Supervision Given: None
This position is located in Columbia River Basin. Duties require that technician worker travel up and down the Columbia River in order to participate in the collection of adult Pacific lamprey at the three lower mainstem Columbia River Dams. Normal duty days and working hours will be 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday however the duty days and hours must be flexible enough to meet the peak use times at determined dam locations as well as daytime trapping restrictions (e.g. some work may be required in the evening hours). The technician worker must be able to lift 75 lbs repeatedly and must be physically mobile in an unimproved riverbank setting. The technician should be able to work in inclement weather conditions as well.
CRITFC Motor Vehicle Policy
The driver operating a CRITFC vehicle or their own private vehicle for business related purposes shall be in possession of a valid, unrestricted current driver’s license, or other operator’s license, as required by law; and be eligible for coverage under CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle insurance policy. Upon request, CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle policy is available to applicants to review the required criteria.